Monday, December 05, 2005

"The Raaja still reigns supreme" – The Hindu

Celebrating 30 Years Of Isaigyani Ilayaraaja Some days back this boy called Ajit mailed me the URL of his blog dedicated to music. He had said there were some pictures of, and write-ups on Raaja sir. Naturally I was excited and landed up there. The absolute euphoria I felt on reaching there can be compared to the paravasam of Guna in the song partha vizhi. His site is a virtual eulogy to our panaipurathu raja. The immediate Friday review following the October 16th concert of Raaja carried a review by Malathi Rangarajan called “The Raaja Still Reigns Supreme”. What touched me most about the review is that it was like one written by a fellow fanatic fan of Ilayaraaja.Very few articles by ‘professional’ writers escape the trappings of moribund, wannabe ‘objectivity’. This one was a rare exception. 2006 marks 30 years since The Anakili Revolution when Raaja first burst onto the scene and changed the landscape of Indian music for eternity. I was planning to start the fireworks a little later. After reading Ajit’s blog and The Hindu write up I have decided to declare the tiruvila open right here, right now! I have also decided that I will do a short 10 – 15 minutes documentary film on Raaja sir sometime in the course of the coming year. The other day I went to Besant Nagar beach. I was humming anda naal nyabagam,vandade kanmani, when I got on to an auto. The autokaran’s radio was tunned onto to an FM station ,and would you believe it, a few moments later the song was played! I felt like a little kid who had just got his favorite chocolate! There is this song from Forrest Gump called turn, turn, turn that basically talks of how there is a time for each and every thing. Well, now is the time to celebrate Raaja, the real Jonathan Livingston Seagull in our midst. May the festivities begin!

4 comments:

AG said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
AG said...

Gee.. Thanks..!! Let the festivities begin!!..:-)

Jeevan said...

Nice one. it has also happen for me, when i sing a song in my mind, that song will come in TV sometime.

Klingsor said...

This documentary-film is surely a very good idea! Maybe you will have the chance of interviewing Raaja?
I think you mean this song Turn, Turn, Turn by the Byrds?