Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Eagerly Awaiting…

Anniyan The much hyped much talked about film by Shankar.The stills and posters seem captivating. It is all very hush-hush regarding what the movie is about. But recent buzz seems to suggest that Vikram is a Iyengar- lawyer (probably a sociopath like in Gentleman?).Though most cine buffs here are waiting with bated breath for its release, I am keeping my fingers crossed, as all Shankar’s movies after Gentleman have been huge let downs for me(despite of most of them being big hits). Adu Oru Kana Kalam The Balu Mahendra film which has been under production since 2003!This is the movie I am looking forward to most this year. Rumours seem to suggest this is a remake of The Graduate. This year being dry so far, in terms of quality Tamil Cinema, I expect this film to bail out Kollywood from the current lull. Also the question on everybody’s lips is can Dhanush finally deliver without his big brother to lean on? Poi The master (I am referring to K.Balachander of course!) is back after nearly five years. Nobody knows any inside info about this movie but the very fact that a ‘erkunar sigaram’ movie is under production (or will be soon?), has me super exited. Pudupetai- survival of the fittest From the early promos I gather this is a gangster movie. I don’t think Tamil Cinema has had a full-fledged gangster movie (Thalapathi was the closest to one I guess).Coming from the team which gave us Thulluvatho Ilamai,Kadhal Konden and 7g,Rainbow Colony{i.e. Selvaraghavan(Director),Aravind Krishna(Cinematographer),Yuvan Shankar Raja(Music)}expectations are sky high. In typical style, all is quiet from the Selvaraghavan camp, regarding further details of this movie. Vettaiyadu, Vilaiyadu This Kamal starrer has Gautam Menon directing the veteran actor for the first time. Said to be a racy thriller the movie is said to move from Newyork to Chennai and have its climax in a desolate village in Tamil Nadu.After the slick Kakha Kakha it would be interesting to see how Gautam Menon handles a sesoned actor like Kamal Hassan. Thavamai Thavam Irundhu The father son relationship is supposed to be the backbone of this movie directed by (and starring?) Cheran.I am looking forward to this movie with mixed emotions.My instinct tells me that Cheran will try to pull a Autograph again which I bet will not go down well with the audience.If he doesn’t this could turn out to be THE movie to watch out for.

3 comments:

Kanishkaa said...

Siddharth
You should probably get your film reviews published somewhere..in a film journal maybe.I'm sure there are plenty.Keep them coming.

Sridhar said...

While it is all fine that there are lots to look forward to, I'm sceptical of these movies pushing the creative envelope. Gautam-Kamal duo, while promising, depends on Kamal offering breathing space to Gautam. I won't be surprised if the project is dropped. And apart from this, the only interesting thing to look forward to is Thavamai Thavam Irundhu.

Rest? I'm sorry. I really liked Anniyan trailer. umm..But then...

ada-paavi!!!! said...

pudupetti will be another let down. selvaraghavans movie after kadhal kondeanhave all been bad, especially 7g but music is always good. poi and kamals movies are the ones to look out for. the rest are all not that expected and will be the usual fare