Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Death

To those of us who are young death seems like something which is disconnected with us. We feel immortal. Two events over the last week have shaken me up terribly. Two deaths. One of a middle aged gentleman I knew and the other of my uncle’s partner I didn’t know. It has left me feeling badly shaken. The first gentleman was a journalism classmate’s husband. I saw him on the last day of my course. He was happy and healthy. And now he is gone.He was killed in an accident while returning from Tirupathi. He was a soft-spoken man, not a friend but an acquaintance with whom Sridhar and I have shared a few drinks and a few interesting conversations. Now he is gone. Just a memory. The second guy, I have seen just a couple of times. I did not know much about him other than that he was an important guy in my uncle’s company. When my uncle told me today that he had died in an accident on his way back from a movie I was badly shaken. He was 29 and doing well in his career. Now he is gone. Just a memory. The first incident shook me up badly. The second one frightens me. After I heard about the second incident, the shock of both the incidents got to me. I also feel that if there is a God (about which I have serious doubts), she or he is unfair. When we hear about strangers who have died in an accident it does not have an impact on us emotionally. Its only when the person’s involved are someone we know or know of does the injustice hit home. After these two events I will never take my life for granted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is short and fragile. We have the same breath in us as the birds of the air.

PreethZzZ The Original said...

Such incidents can really have you shaken up. I think I am some what sailing in the same boat, being shaken up and frightened, but all in all confused. Just wrote about it in my blog. Check it out if you have time at http://preethzzz.blogspot.com/. Take care, don't let it get you down too much.

tt_giant said...

Its sad to hear it man. Take care now.

expertdabbler said...

hmm. its really around the corner.
i too suspect the existence of god as an entity. as a He or She.
20 yr olds die inaccidents, leaving behind their kith and kin.
90 year olds survive with no one having the heart or patience to look after.

Narayanan Venkitu said...

LIFE IS so fragile. We don't realize it.!

Its frightening indeed..and sad.!

That's why they said :

LIVE LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO DIE TODAY
SAVE LIKE YOU ARE GOING TO LIVE FOREVER.!

May the souls rest in peace.!
May the families get the courage from God..to go thru this tough phase in life.!!

Kanishkaa said...

What really shakes me up is when young people roughly my age(or younger) die.It's not meant to happen at all this early.So those with bikes and cars,go carefully.It's not worth the rush.

Klingsor said...

(Krishna:)
"All beings, O son of Kunti, come to my nature, when a period ends; when a period begins, I send them forth again.
Resorting to nature, which is my own, I send forth again and again this whole company of beings, powerless, by the power of nature.
And these works do not bind me, O Dhanamjaya; for I sit as one indifferent, from these works detached."

(Bhagavadgita 9, 7-9)