Friday, September 09, 2005

Ten Years Since Mockingbird

Ten years ago, I had just joined The School-K.F.I, the place that has made me what I am today. Being a new student I was desperately trying to fit in to the place where I would go on to meet some of the most important people in my life. It was also the time when I was 1st exposed to serious literature in the form of a book called To Kill A Mockingbird. We did it together in class with Jayshree Akka our English teacher. We would take turns and read the book and then discuss it. Mockingbird made us wake up to the society around us. It threw up questions for us about things we were unaware of, or had at best a vague and confused knowledge of. For those of you who don’t know the book is about growing up in America in the 30s when there was still open discrimination between blacks and whites. It is about a white lawyer who fights for an Afro-American wrongly accused of raping a white girl. But most unforgettably it is about those two kids-Jem & Scout, and Boo Radley. Boo is the most enigmatic and haunting character I have come across in literature. This character, not seen until the final pages of the book is made a monster of by the town because of certain rumours. And the way Harper Lee (the author) describes him from the point of view of those kids made us all shudder. There is an incident when the kids are playing and their ball falls into the neighboring Radley house. They are terrified to get the ball fearing that Boo (who incidentally never comes out) will do something awful to them. And Jayshree Akka never once told us until we came to the climax, so to speak, that Boo Radley was such a hero!

It was the way we all read this book together which also made it so special. 12-13 years old at that time things like racial discrimination (read caste, in our country’s context), rape, etc were stuff we were blissfully unaware of .Ok, we had seen a few crude rape scenes from a few crude movies, but it was something which we probably did not fully comprehend. But reading through the book and our teacher putting things in perspective, gave some of us our first true insight into the real world. Even a small character like the Finch housemaid was so poignant. And those unforgettable lines after Boo rescues the kids, which Scout narrates in retrospect-

“ Neighbors bring food with death and flowers with sickness and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a pair of good-luck pennies, and our lives. But neighbors give in return. We never put back into the tree what we took out of it: we had given him nothing, and it made me sad.”

They just make me cry & cry & cry & cry & cry.

Ten years have gone by since we did Mockingbird. Ten years of joy & sorrow; triumphs & disappointments; and inevitably- change. God only know what the next ten will bring. Some of us will be married and settled and all. But one thing I am a certain of –Mockingbird and so many other wonderful things that we shared and indeed still share will always give us comfort and reassurance. For some things are far more eternal than the ravages of time.

8 comments:

Ram C said...

Be on the positive side, hoping for a better (next) 10 years...

GB said...

I love Boo Radley's character too...'To Kill a Mockingbird' is one of those terribly sad books that somehow make you feel warm inside.

Manasi Subramaniam said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is my all-time favourite book. I finished it in one stitting, I really couldn't put it down. I love Scout. She's such an utter delight. And Atticus too. I enjoyed watching the movie as well. Very gentle and sensitive to the original text...

Manasi Subramaniam said...

Good Lord!!! Please don't call me Oleanna Manasi on your Blog Roll!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Harper Lee, the author of "To Kill a Mockingbird" was a Southerner (like me) and a fine writer. Her best friend,as a child, was the great American novelist Truman Capote who wrote "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "In Cold Blood" Sidd.

Kanishkaa said...

I should see the movie sometime.I heard Gregory Peck was superb.
U mentioned Jayshree akka.her english classes were always interesting,though only for 1 year. I saw her recently in a play with some of her KFI gang.

GB said...

Your sister says she's deleted the mail you sent her. Hahaha! She's getting bugged if I ask her, so if you are mailing, my address is sowmya_86@rediffmail.com

Siddharth said...

ram,i absolutely agree.

brownie,i totally agree with what u say abt mocking bird.it is the same way i feel abt mill on the floss too.

manasi,actually i did not like the movie that much.something was missing.

paul,i have seen the movie breakfast at Tiffany's.didnt know it was originally a book.

kanishkaa,i suggest u read the book 1st.the movie is ordinary in comparison.