Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Tribute/The Bhagyam I Knew

April 15,11 pm(approx).I open my inbox and see that a friend has sent a mail with the title ‘Bhagyam-shocking news’. I read the mail that informed me that Bhagyam was no more.Around the same time I am sure the Madras Theatre Community (numbering a few hundred people) felt the same sense of loss that I did as they received the news. To me Bhagyam was someone who was warm and always accessible. She always made it a point to come backstage after our shows (Masquerade’s) and congratulate the youngsters and upstarts (like me!).Very often I knew my performances were substandard and I am sure Bhagyam thought they were,but she would always have a hug and an encouraging word. One knew one had acted pathetically and yet a “You were great darling”, from Bhagyam invariably made your day. I was lucky enough to do a minor role in a play directed by Bhagyam called “ Thus Spake Shoorpanakha, So Said Shakuni”.When I had first met Bhagyam(before I joined Masquerade)at Amethyst after a show of hers I told her that Danushkodi Sir had told me about her and I wanted to act in a play of hers. I never thought she would take me seriously. A few months later she gave me a call and said “I have a minor role in a play I am doing for which I have you in mind. Would you be interested?” That was the kind of person she was. Nothing or no one was too small for her. After the production was over she told me I must come to the cast party in her house. Despite the presence of veterans like Polly Sengupta(playwright) and lots of other people she made it a point to have a few words with me. She made everyone feel at ease. She wanted to be treated as an equal not a superior. Initially when I used to call her mam or aunty out of respect she used to tease me saying she will not speak to me unless I call her Bhagyam.I am sure every person who has had the privilege of knowing her has such fond and wonderful memories of her. I truly envy people like KK (Krishna Kumar) our Artistic Director at Masquerade(of which I am currently a dormant member!)who had the good fortune of extensively working with her. Her passing is not just a loss to the Madras Theatre community. It is an irreplaceable loss to all performing artists of Madras (whatever the medium). May her soul rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hallo Ramana,
this is a fitting tribute to Bhagyam. Whoever was acquainted with her can consider himself or herself as their Bhagyam (fortune).
I am happy to read a tribute which is nothing but an outpouring of heartfelt feelings. These feelings are so personal that they do need not be commented upon especially for the quality of words. I appreciate the very thought and that is more than enough. This is real freedom of expression. This freedom is not a right that should be claimed, but simply a duty that should be performed. You have done your duty.
mani