Saturday, April 09, 2005

Why this fuss about John Paul the second?

The media frenzy over the passing of John Paul the second has been phenomenal. I did not expect the Indian media to give the kind of coverage that the western media has been giving this issue. The most obvious reason for this could be that the national media is trying to please the Catholic population in this country. For the media here has always been trying to keep the minority communities in good spirits. There is nothing wrong with this parse. John Paul 2 did not get this much coverage in the Western and Indian media purely because he was the head of the Catholic Church. He was certainly one of the most influential humanitarians of our times. In his native country Poland he is considered the father of his nation for his role in morally opposing the communist regime of that country and contributing to its downfall. Despite of some of his archaic views on issues such as abortion and contraception (he was vehemently against these!)he had a huge following of supporters. He has a huge following of well-wishers even among non Catholics. But was a three day state mourning and so much media frenzy in India necessary or justified? My own response is an emphatic no. I don’t say it out of disrespect to John Paul the Second. I keenly followed his illness, his death and his funeral. I am convinced beyond doubt that he was a good and well meaning man. But to give him an elaborate state mourning when several of our own stalwarts passing have been overlooked and at times completely ignored sends the wrong signals. Why didn’t the late pontiff Chandrashekara Saraswati or M.S.Subbulakshi get state honours of equal magnitude? And our media gave the most rudimentary coverage for the passing of these two Indian icons (a notable exception being The Hindu’s extensive tribute to M.S). To me both the Indian Government and media are minority weary. True secularism is in truly treating all communities equally without fear or favour .Just by making a point by keeping the minority in good spirits and ignoring the majority community just to make a statement is anti-secularism and undemocratic.

4 comments:

Klingsor said...

I never had thought that the passing away of John Paul II will have such a great response also in countries who are not mainly catholic. If you count the people who came to his funeral, he is just number 3 - behind Gamal Abdel Nasser and Ayatollah Khomeini. But his international popularity maybe a result of his engagement for peace and intercultural dialogue.
He was the first pope ever having visited a protestant church (!) and a moslem mosque (!). That´s pretty a lot for a conservative organisation as the catholic church is.
By the way, never before a pope visited so many countries like him - he was called "the flying pope". When I first heard of him (I´m protestant) in TV, I saw a landing airplane and my father said to me: "This is the pope. He will kiss the ground." And my first association was, that he must be a strange popstar..

Despite his very conservative attitudes towards sexuality that you mentioned, he was very popular. And I think it is not easy for the Vatican to find a new pope who will be as good as Karol Wojtila.
Now it would be the right time for a pope from the global south, maybe from Africa!

Sridhar said...

I guess Mr. Christian has misunderstood the essay. Siddarth wasn't critical of Pope but about the state mourning declared by our union government. In my opinion, it's wee too much in a way of appeasing the minorities. Congress being pseudo secular it's perfectly understandable. Or is it also because its head is a Roman Catholic from Italy?

Klingsor said...

Dear Mr. Sridhar,
it was not my intention to criticise Siddharth´s essay and I think it is in no way offensive against the pope.
Because I live in Germany, I do not know about the media focus on John Paul in India, so I only wanted to say something about my thoughts on the whole thing as I perceived it in Europe. It is not a critic, just an additional point of view from another place of the planet.
I also wonder why there is so much fuss about this catholic guru when the catholic population is only around 1% of the country.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit a very obvious fact here..India IS a country of exaggeration.Sometimes the government and the media are guilty of misdirecting the public's attention to other issues.Siddharth has a valid point here.
Had the government not declared a 3 day state mourning,it would have
sparked yet another unnecessary debate on the secularism issue.This is where the exaggeration comes into play.Probably the government did foresee such an issue and went ahead with its appeasement gesture.However we do have to understand that for a country of its size,it is next to impossible to appease all communities at the same time.I do feel that personalities like M.S did get a fair share of media coverage but not of this magnitude. A line has to be drawn somewhere.And that is not easy.

-Kanishkaa