Sunday, June 12, 2005

Cellular Spam

My first tryst with cell phone spam was when this guy from my ex-office started sending forwarded jokes, and one-liners about how great friendship is. Considering I barely knew the guy I found it really stupid. But I did not want to be rude so I put up with it .To start with he sent only a couple of these forwarded sms’s a day. Soon it became around half a dozen messages. And finally it reached a stage when I started receiving at least twenty such crazy forwards everyday. I kept deleting them, but there seemed to be no respite from this downpour. Finally I had to confront him and tell him point blank to stop sending me forwards. Another guy I had spoken to just a couple of times asked me for my cell number. Since he seemed like a typical prankster I was not exactly enthusiastic about giving it to him. Never the less I gave him my number. And the crank calls began. When in a friend’s house I would get a call from so and so saying that they wanted to advertise in my prestigious newspaper. In the middle of a gripping movie I would reluctantly pick a call from an unknown number, and the speaker would in mock earnestly say that they would like to book for a wedding, at such and such a wedding hall on such and such a date. The speakers for these crank calls, which I receive still receive, vary and so do the numbers. I wonder what makes these mass junk forwarders and crank callers do what they do? Atleast some of these forwarders seem to genuinely believe that these forwards are interesting to their readers.A couple of other guys,who are decent have also drenched me with these forwards. But I fail to understand how these crank callers operate or even what their motive is, other than to irritate which is obvious. For a few days the calls stop and just when I am relieved that the torment is over they start all over again. Who are these callers? Are they a bunch of jobless people? Do these pranksters have some ulterior motive of acquiring personal information? Or are they the agents of an enemy I don’t even know exsists? All this may sound extremely hilarious and I myself am amused at the absurdity of it while I write this. But believe me when answering one of these calls I am far from amused. I am rabid and it is a colossal effort not to heap abuses at the caller. I am still wondering, who are these callers? I suppose like agent Moulder of The-X-Files would say, the truth is out there!

2 comments:

Kanishkaa said...

We may be referring to the same guy here(don't want to mention names).After a couple of weeks I approached him and politely asked him not to send me those soppy friendship messages.I did this to a few others as well.Even the jokes I get are of woefully awful standard.One in 20-25 is actually good(like the 7G jokes).
Mobile phones should come with a 'block number' facility barring calls from a particular number(s) just like in emails.

GB said...

:)) You forgot to add Good Morning, Good Night, Good Afternoon and Miss You messages.