Thursday, June 16, 2005

Ullam Kekume

Directed By-Jeeva Starring-Laila, Shyam, Arya, Asin and Pooja Music-Harris Jeyraj Genre-Nostalgia College friends get together for the marriage of one of their classmates. Eman (Arya) who is a popular cricketer is getting married. As they meet they nostalgically reflect about their college life together, and the triumphs and tribulations that accompany it. The story while including several college friends is primarily about a circle of five friends. Ullam Kekume is a movie in the same genre as Autograph, that is, nostalgia. Though obviously this is not a movie in the same class as the former, it has the same effect on the audience. It will remind some of their college days, some about their school days. For me it is the second, as I am sure it will be for most of my classmates. The movie is an affirmation that despite time having passed, these people (for me my school friends),have forever touched one’s life and changed it. Director Jeeva must be appreciated for making campus life and interaction between the genders look so natural.The humor and the romance are so realistically portrayed. Harris Jeyraj has come up with quite humamble songs. My favorite is Kanavugal.However the background is so blatantly inspired by (guess who?) that it is like a tribute to THE KING.I mean Illayaraja of course. My favorite character in the movie, like everyone else’s is Pooja played by Laila.The proverbial tomboy, who guys would like as a platonic friend, but nothing more. Nothing more? Well almost. This movie has a fairytale ending, for Laila’s character.Though some may think it was clichéd I thought it was appropriate. Arya has come up with yet another noteworthy performance after Arindum Ariyamalum.He is an actor to watch out for. As I keep mentioning this movie reminds me of my school days. Any of my class guys will roll out laughing especially at the scene in the guy’s bathroom during the class trip. Can’t get into specifics in public, but you know what I mean :). I recommend this movie to all wanting to feel good and entertained. I guarantee you it will take you on a trip down memory lane, which you will love.

2 comments:

Narayanan Venkitu said...

I read the review in some online mag and then yours today.

I like being nostalgic.! I'll check this out in the stores.

Umm..Harris Jeyaraj inspired by IR.!! I have to check it out.!

tt_giant said...

on the likes of autograph eh? must be worth watching then.